Thursday, August 9, 2012

Polyamory

Unified Poly Triad Symbol

I know it has been a long time since I have posted. I am, actually, posting from work! I just finished "watching" TV with my sister, and by watching, I mean I loaded the episode online with full closed captioning and she watched from home. We watched that Showtime reality show Polyamory; Married and Dating and I have to say, this was the perfect episode for me to watch as the first one.
In this episode, so many things I have been thinking about were addressed. And even some things I have discussed recently with Master as well.
A really good idea I got from this episode was the possibility of a "Poly Pot Luck," which is just gathering with local poly people for a good meal and fellowship. They used the word solidarity alot this week, and that is exactly what it seemed like they got out of th epot luck. Lots of like minded relationships getting together to talk about being poly and how they all "do poly."
There was a conversation between two members of two different relationships talking about their fears about coming out as poly, how their families would react and if they would accept them as poly and/or their other partners. It was nice to see that other poly families struggle with some of the same issus we do.
They also discussed the triad featured in the show and their pending commitment ceremonies, It is nice to know that other couples think about these issues.
They went over alot of things I think all poly individuals are faced with. From the difficulties with finding other poly couples to socialize with in their own area to coming out to commitment and family acceptance.
I would love to be able to find a community like they showed somewhere, but I also know the issues we all face, no matter where we live. The biggest seems to be the basic human desire for acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment